Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Mirror

That morning at my desk, I found a card and a gift-wrapped package at my chair. The card was signed, love - Willela, and the gift was a small mirror.


Willela is my classmate. She is a tall and thin girl. She looks so pale you'd think she's in bad health. But she's not! She's just the exact opposite of the way she looks. She is jolly and energetic. Her laugh always echoes through the four walls of the room. She always leaves short messages of appreciation. And I think it's crazy. It's weird.


I took for granted the mirror she had given me. I can only remember it if I have to powder my face. The card seems less important too. I had hopes that she would soon stop giving me silly notes and gifts because my bag was getting full with 'trash' from her. But even though I find it stupid to receive such silly gifts, I don't know why I'm still keeping those things they say only 'sentimental fools' keep.


Then one December morning, I received a hug and a kiss on my cheek from her, a kiss that triggered the soul inside me. A kiss that made me feel, I would never see her again. And suddenly, I felt the urge to kiss her too. I smiled at her, gave her a big hug and a shy kiss on her cheek.


"Among the pile of cards, I saw the mirror. I stared at it and saw her staring back."
The next day, I felt uncomfortable.. something was missing. And then, a classmate told me that Willela was gone. She had committed suicide. She couldn't take it anymore to see her parents quarreling's and shouting's at each other. She couldn't take the pain that her parents were separating this Christmas.


It put a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes, as I grasped the news. Tears! I suddenly felt funny. I'm crying? I'm crying for a girl whom I thought was crazy and weird?


Yeah, I was crying for a girl whom I thought was strong. But maybe I was really crying for myself. I was such a self-centered person. She considered me as her friend, yet I treated her as a mere classmate and as someone who pisses me off with those crazy notes and gifts. I should have been the one giving those things. I should have been the one who gave her hope.


I opened my bag and stared at the cards and short notes she had given me. Now, I didn't see anything crazy about these things. What I saw was the real reason why she had given them. She wanted to be given the love she had been longing for. The love she couldn't find at home. The love which I failed to give.


Among the pile of cards, I saw the mirror. I stared at it and saw her staring back. She made me see my mistakes. But now that I have come to realize these things, she had gone away. So now tell me, how I'll be able to spend a happy Christmas without my mirror? LSZ

No comments:

Post a Comment