Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

This is not a Puppy Love (not even a continuation)

She's Lorin, my best friend. They say birds of the same feather flock together but that's not the case of our friendship. We were totally different from each other.


She's the 'silent water'; I'm the 'loud speaker'. She's the ever obedient daughter; I'm the spoiled brat (it's not my fault if I could always argue my way out!). She's the forgiving type; I'm the don't-go-to-bed-mad-stay-up-and-fight type. She easily gives in; I don't give up without a fight. I'm Miss Popular; she's Miss Alone-but-not-lonely. Everybody's wondering how we became friends. I was even beginning to wonder myself but when I asked her how we became friends, she just laughed and said,


"Don't you remember the boy you punched on the nose because he unlaced the ribbons on my hair?"


I just nodded but still bewildered if I really did that.Did I really do that. Duh?! Out of the many fights I had, I can't remember who was that boy who made my friend cry.


We have so many differences but we have this one thing in common. Brenard. We shared a lot of secrets but this  was one secret I never told her. |We have the same crush.


Brenard became our friend too. The three of us were inseparable but Brenard and I were much closer. He shared his every secret to me; the first time he courted a girl, his first kiss (you just don't know how much that hurt me), I even cried with him during his first heartache.


Maybe we were just too close that I was giving a different meaning to his actions toward me. But you know us women, we have this superpower called "women's instinct". His stares were not just merely looking anymore. His actions were not just a friendly affection but were saying things louder than words. Then one day he told me,
"Yeah right, I'm a professional hypocrite. But I can't hurt my best friend. I just can't."


"I want us to be more than friends."


I wanted to slap him and say, "What took you so long to say that?" I wanted to shout for joy, hug him and say how much I've longed for him to say that but those were not the words that came out of my mouth.


"Me too. From now on, you're my best friend. Just like Lorin." I said laughing.


It was like watching the sky turn gray on his face. He looked at me intently and I needed to look away because if I don't, he might see through my real feelings. Then he walked away without uttering a word.


"What happened to him?" It was Lorin. I haven't noticed her coming.


"I don't know." I lied looking away from her. Yeah right, I'm a professional hypocrite. But I can't hurt my best friend. I just can't.


That was years ago. Now, here I am attending the wedding of my best friend. We haven't seen each other for years. Before the wedding ceremony, she called me. She hugged me so tight I thought I would die of suffocation and broken ribs. Then she said.


"Thank you friend. So much."


My brows creased. I wanted to ask, "For what?" but the ceremony already started. Well, I have all the time in the world to ask her later. I entered the church. I still haven't seen the groom. Then I froze. He was there looking at me. I almost choke and cry. I look at my best friend looking at him with so much love in her eyes.


I smiled. I'm happy. Yes, I am. Because here I am, watching my very best friend marry the man of our dreams. I then slowly walked out of the church. I have to. So I could wipe my tears. LSZ

No comments:

Post a Comment